Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop Co-Chairs
Timothy Devinney University of Leeds
Hussain Rammal University of Technology Sydney
Elizabeth Rose University of Otago
To see the complete version of the Doctoral Workshop Call for Applications, please download the provided PDF.
Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop
The Strategic Management Society is pleased to announce a Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop to be held Saturday, December 6th, preceding the SMS Special Conference in Sydney. The Workshop will be held on the campus of the University of Sydney Business School.
The workshop will be led by an international panel of senior faculty members with proven research records, who will discuss promising areas for scholarship and insights into developing a research strategy, executing and managing research, and navigating the publication process.
The Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop will contain a mixture of separate and overlapping components. The first half of the day will be focused on discussions of individual issues relating to specific needs of the participants. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss their work with members of the faculty panel and other participants, in small groups. For doctoral students, discussions will focus on thesis development and moving from the thesis to a sustainable strategy of scholarship. For junior faculty, the focus will be on the development a research portfolio and managing a career to maximize success as a scholar.
The second half of the program will be combine all participants, and include two plenary panels:
- "Conducting Research in the Asian Context": Panelists will present their views of emerging "hot" topics in management that are result from the rising social, economic and political power of countries and cultures within Asia. Participants will be invited to suggest ideas and jointly speculate about how they may play in the wider audience of strategy research.
- "Publishing without Perishing": Panelists will share their thoughts on techniques for (1) framing research questions, (2) developing research designs, (3) packaging research outputs, and (4) dealing with editors and reviewers.
Workshop Application and Admissions Process
If you would like to attend the Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop, you will need to submit an application by August 1, 2014. Your application should include the following:
- For doctoral students, a letter from your advisor or a senior faculty member from your institution, confirming their support for your attendance and that you are a student in good standing at their institution.
- For all applicants, a one-page summary of your career to date. Please include your desire to attend the workshop and your commitment to attending if accepted.
- For doctoral students, a three-page overview of your thesis topic, findings to date, and work to be done going forward. For junior faculty, a three-page overview of your research, with reference to specific published and unpublished work to date.
For Doctoral Students, admission preference will be given to students whose thesis research is in progress. The thesis ideas should be sufficiently developed to allow for a clear presentation of the theory and research design, while still leaving room for substantial revision and development based on comments received at the workshop.
For Junior Faculty, if you are accepted for participation in the workshop, we will give you the opportunity to submit a paper in process, to be reviewed by the faculty involved as part of the discussions about your research.
Acceptance of a paper at the main Strategic Management Society conference is not required, but attendance at the conference is expected.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact:
We hope to see you in Sydney!
- August 1, 2014
- Deadline for Applications
- End of September, 2014
- Notification of Review Committee Decisions
- October 20, 2014
- Deadline for Accepted Individuals to Confirm Participation
- December 6, 2014
- Doctoral & Junior Faculty Workshop
- December 6-8, 2014
- SMS Special Conference Sydney